What is Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)?

Employers in Australia are currently experiencing labour shortages. They already searched for candidates but just couldn’t find appropriately skilled Australians. The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) is designed to help the employers address the shortages by hiring workers on a temporary basis.

Employers are able to sponsor 457 visa holders to work in Australia either by a standard business sponsorship or through a labour agreement.

The occupations must be found here:http://www.border.gov.au/trav/work/work/subclass-457-visa-legislative-instruments

Application stages

  1. The employer must already been approved as a standard business sponsor. If not, then they have to apply for it.
  2. The employer is the one to nominate the occupation from the list.
  3. The person nominated must apply for the subclass 457 visa.


  • Applications can be lodged offshore and onshore
  • An approved business must sponsor the skilled worker
  • The visa allows you to work in Australia for up to 4 years
  • One of the great benefits of this visa is that your immediate family may be included in your application
  • There is no limit in travelling in and out of Australia for you and your dependents


You “must” work for your employer for 2 years because that’s the “only” way for you to apply for Permanent Residency.

The statement above is only true if you want to be eligible to apply for PR via Temporary Transition Stream. But even if you have not completed the 2 years, there are also other possible pathways that you can take. You can still apply for PR straight away via the subclasses 186 or 187 Direct Entry Stream provided that you meet the requirements needed such as IELTS score and relevant qualification or employment experience in the same occupation (would also depend on your current situation).

Take Note:

You won’t be able to apply for this visa if the visa that you’re currently holding has a ‘No further stay’ condition.