What is Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187)?

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187) is a Permanent Resident visa for skilled workers in regional areas of Australia.

Applicants should meet the age, skills, english, health, character and overall stream requirements when applying for this visa but sometimes there could be exemptions.

The normal processing time is usually 3-8 months.


  • Applications can be lodged offshore and onshore
  • You can apply if an employer in Regional Australia has nominated you
  • If you do not have an employer, you can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect so that Prospective employers would be able to view your details and then nominate you for skilled migration if you meet their requirements.
  • You are allowed to work in Australia under one of the three streams:
  • Temporary Residence Transition stream
  • Direct Entry stream
  • Agreement stream


The following statements aren’t true via the Temporary Transition Stream:


  • I can count work that I completed under another visa like 485 and student visa.
  • I can I count work completed with a different employee
  • I can lodge my application before I complete 2 years of full-time work if I am close to completing 2 years – you must satisfy the 2 year requirement at the time of application
  • I need to demonstrate 2 years of on-the job training or 2 years of relevant work experience if I am a cook, chef plumber, etc to apply for RSMS – For trade occupations, the visa applicant now just needs to demonstrate that he or she has the relevant qualifications or relevant work experience to satisfy the ANZSCO framework.


Application stages

  • Nomination by an approved Australian employer
  • An application under the nominated stream

Take Note:

Unlike the 457 visa, applicants with no further stay condition on their visas might be able to lodge applications for this visa in certain circumstances.

Options to get Permanent Residency while on 457 visa

There are few different options to convert 457 to Permanent residency:

  • Through Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS)
  • Through Regional Skilled Migration Scheme (RSMS)
  • Through Skilled Migration Scheme (GSM visas – 189, 190, 489)
  • As the Partner of a Permanent Resident or Australian Citizen